The State Bar of Arizona, azcentral.com and 12 News hosted the Lawyers on Call public service program on Tuesday, August 5, 2014. Volunteers, including Rose Law Group employment law attorney David Weissman, answered viewers’ calls regarding their employment and labor law issues. The following is a recap of the program.
The volunteer attorneys answered 64 calls on callers’ employment and labor law issues. Sample consumer questions included:
– Do I qualify for unemployment benefits?
– Do I qualify for workers’ compensation?
– My employer is withholding wages, what can I do?
– My commissions haven’t been paid, what can I do?
– I believe I was terminated because of my disability, what can I do?
Several questions regarding discrimination associated with race, disability, and age were asked throughout the evening.
All participating attorneys were returning volunteers. They were satisfied with the quality of the questions overall and were excited to have participated in the Lawyers on Call public service program. Calls were consistent from 5 to 7 p.m., which led to another successful phone bank.
Next month, volunteer lawyers will answer consumers’ family law questions on Tuesday, September 9.