Termination of Parental Rights

Petitions to terminate a parent’s parental rights can only be filed in the Juvenile Court. A “severance” of rights eliminates all future rights that that party has, while maintain obligations such as child support. There are limited reasons that a party’s parental rights may occur, and strict standards that the Court must follow. Sometimes these petitions are brought by private parties but most often they are brought by the Department of Economic Security in cases where CPS has been involved. Our family law attorneys can discuss with you the grounds for a petition to terminate parental rights, the process, and whether your case qualifies.

Most parental rights are terminated in order to allow the child to be either placed for adoption to an outside individual or to be legally adopted by a step-parent. If you have not had contact with the other parent, for period of time, then your case may qualify. Contact our attorneys to setup a consultation.

Social/home studies are a necessary component of an action to terminate parental rights. Our attorneys have certain agencies that they use on a regular basis and we can provide you with their information so that a trained expert is involved in your case.

On Our Team

In the news: